Thursday, November 11, 2010

What A Job- Devin The Dude

This is just an all around great song. The beat is really laid back and mellow and every verse is just excellent. It's all about coming up in the rap game and how hard these guys work to get recognized and make hot rhymes. Devin holds his own against two hip-hop classics in Snoop Dogg and Andre 3000, Talking about how hard it is to be an MC and get recognized, but at the end he realizes that it's "all for the cause." Snoop Dogg is on here with another classic verse with his very recognizable soft voice and smooth flow. I think the one who steals the show on this song though is Andre 3 stacks. This has to be one of my favorite Andre verses I've ever heard. He talks about illegal downloading in the first part and then starts talking about how he doesn't rap because he wants to buy expensive things, even though those are perks of the job, he does it for " that boy that graduated, that looked you in your eyes real tough and said preciate it." It just shows how Andre can tell a story or talk about something, by using an example that out of context wouldn't make any sense. It's incredible and I think that is why he's such a gifted MC.

Standout Lines: Honestly, I'm just gonna post the whole Andre 3000 Verse,
"We work nights, we some vampires 
Niggas gather round the beat like a campfire 
Singin' folk songs, but not no Kumbaya my Lord 
You download it for free, we get charged back for it 
I know you're saying, they won't know they won't miss it 
Besides, I ain't a thief, they won't pay me a visit 
So if I come to your job, take your corn on the cob 
And take a couple kernels off it that would be alright with you 
Hell no! Yeah, exactamundo 
But we just keep recording and it ain't to get no condo 
And Candy Bentley fanny with no panties in Miami 
And that cute lil' chick named Tammy that you took to the Grammys 
See we do it for that boi that graduated 
That looked you in your eyes real tough and said 'preciate it 
And that he wouldn'ta made it if it wasn't for your CD number 9 
And he's standing with his baby momma Kiki and she cryin' talkinbout 
That they used to get high to me in high school 
And they used to make love to me in college 
Then they told me 'bout they first date, listenin' to my tunes 
And how he, like to finger nail polish 
I say hate to cut you off but I gotta go 
I wish you could tell me mo' but I'm off to the studio, gotta write tonight 
Hey, can you put us in your raps songs I don't see why not 
Devin it's the Dude you gon' probably hear him talking 'bout"


Franks





No comments:

Post a Comment