Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Murder Was The Case-Snoop Dogg

It is no question that West Coast hip hop ruled much of the 90's. With albums like Doggystyle dropping, featuring producers like Dr. Dre and Dazz Dillinger, it's obvious as to why West Coast hip hop reigned supreme. "Murder Was The Case" is a lyrical narrative about born and raised LBC rapper Snoop Doggy Dogg being murdered. While dying Snoop makes a compromise with the Devil. The deep meaning behind the lyrics is what makes this song an instant hip hop classic. In the first verse, the Dogg describes the subconscious of his death. He hears a voice (satan) telling him to give his life and he will be granted another one with more perks of being a G:

I think it's too late for prayin', hold up,
A voice spoke to me and it slowly started sayin',
"Bring your lifestyle to me I'll make it better,"
How long will I live?
"Eternal life and forever"
And will I be, the G that I was?
"I'll make your life better that you can imagine or even dream of,
So relax your soul, let me take control,
Close your eyes my son"
My eyes are closed

In the second verse, Doggy Dogg is livin' the high life as a G in the LBC does. However, the promise is kept on both ends, in the third verse Snoop is shackled for eternity. Lyrically, this trio of verses is ahead of its time. The beat created by Dre, sets the satanic mood and plays perfectly with the song content. Like Danklin mentioned with Jay-Z in Dead Presidents, Snoop is known for "bending words" or changing words completely when rhyming. In the third verse Snoop says, "25 with an izzle with no where to gizzo." A classic Snoop rhyming scheme. It's great to see a synonymous "gangsta rapper" create something so poetically progressive. Other rappers are talking about killing people, while Snoop is describing what's going through his head while being killed. To invent a narrative of the subconscious during death and add a supernatural perspective was unheard of in hip hop during the time. Snoop changed the game, making him one of the best MCs of all time. 'Nuff said. Disgusting.

Standout Lines:
As I lookup at the sky,
My mind starts trippin', a tear drops my eye,
My body temperature fails,
I'm shakin' and they breakin' tryin' to save the Dogg,
Pumpin' on my chest and I'm screamin',
I stop breathin', damn I see deamons
Dear God, I wonder can ya save me?


Diaz

No comments:

Post a Comment