Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dead Presidents-Jay-Z

So we decided to start this blog mainly because we feel that this current generation doesn't understand the origins of rap music, the pioneers who came before Lil' Wayne and Drake. We think that people need to understand where rap started and how in all reality, has digressed since the early days of 2pac and Biggie. So this blog is going to show that hip-hop isn't all about making metaphors and talking about random stuff. Rap is meant to convey a message and to give you a feeling. Not saying that I don't enjoy modern rap music, I really like Lil' Wayne and everyone, but I just think people need to listen to see what rap is about.

So first I'm posting Dead Presidents by Jay-Z off of his debut album Reasonable Doubt, which I consider to be one of the better rap albums ever. This song is incredible, the stories he tells throughout are awesome if you understand what he's talking about. Especially this part of the song when he talks about a friend of his in the hospital. The way he is able to tell this vivid story in just a couple of lines is excellent. I can see everything that he is describing so clearly and I think being able to put a story in someone's mind with only a few lines of a song takes so much talent. His flow is really nice here and matches the beat perfectly. He's able to change up his flow on the turn of a dime and thats why Jay is considered a legend. He has some haunting words when he says "murder is a tough thing to digest, it's a slow process, but I ain't got nothin but time." The Nas sample on the chorus is really cool too. This song also shows Jay's ability to rhyme words with each other that wouldn't normally rhyme. For example he rhymes the word brilliant with in and win. He morphs the word in a way that it actually works and fits within the framework of his rhyme pattern and flow. Just a classic hip-hop song and without a doubt one of my favorites ever.

Standout Lines:
Hospital days, reflectin' when my man laid up,
On the uptown high block he got his side sprayed up,
I saw his life slippin', this is a minor setback,
Yo, still in all we livin', just dream about the get back,
That made him smile tho his eyes said "pray for me,"
I'll do you one better and slay these niggaz faithfully


Franks

No comments:

Post a Comment